Friday, May 25, 2012

Mmmm.... Homemade Tortillas & Hummus

My 4 year old, Canon, is pretty much obsessed with cheese quesadillas. Standard grilled cheese just won't do, it must be a quesadilla! He also decided about 2 weeks ago that he is a vegEtarian (he emphasizes the E so I did too :)). This is kind of awesome since I am also vegetarian and I am doing the proud happy dance when he isn't looking (I want him to make his own decision- so I am supportive but I don't over do it in front of him). Problem is, he is also a picky eater and now many of my go to meals for him are out the window so lets just say we go through a TON of tortillas. Tortillas aren't crazy expensive but they do add up at the amount that we consume them, plus I only buy the whole grain ones which raises the price tag. And lately I have been striving to make as much homemade as possible- nutella, peanut butter, oat flour, baby food so why not try tortillas?
Well yesterday I had two culinary experiments, one tasted great but didn't turn out (peanut butter cups- my chocolate never set) and one that turned out great- TORTILLAS! Yay!
They are super easy to make but they do take a bit of time- which is great if your kids like to cook- Canon loves to be in the kitchen with me so this was a great project :)


Whole Grain Tortillas
* I doubled this so that I would have enough tortillas for a couple of days- next time I will probably quadruple and freeze.
  • 3 cups of flour- you can use any combination you want- I used 2 cups whole wheat, 1/2 cup oat flour, and 1/2 cup unbleached flour
  • 1 cup of warm water
  • 1/4 cup of oil or fat- I used canola but any would be fine- coconut oil, butter, etc.
  • 1/4 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of salt

Mix all of the ingredients adding the flour last, I used my Kitchenaid with the dough hook- if you don't have a mixer just mix the ingredients until combined then knead for about a minute or two until it's a nice dough ball.
Divide into 8-12 portions, form into balls, cover and let rest at least 10 minutes at room temperature. I let mine rest for about an hour.
Heat a pan over med-high heat and roll out the dough- as thin as you can and heat for 30 seconds to a minute, turn over and cook for another 30 seconds- a minute- should have some nice brown spots when done.
Immediately put into a plastic bag or stack on a plate and cover so they soften up- homemade tortillas can get hard but covering them allows the steam to soften them.

Canon loved the homemade tortillas and loved his cheese quesadilla- I think we found something else we will be making from scratch now!


Since it was late at this point I decided to make hummus to dip our tortillas in for a quick dinner.

Hummus
  • 1 can of chickpeas- save the liquid to thin the hummus
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
  • a dash of sriracha
  • a bit of canola oil- about a tbs or two
  • 2-3 tbs ground flaxseed (this is traditionally tahini or peanut butter but I love the nuttiness and health factor of flaxseed instead)
  1. In a blender or food processor add the drained chickpeas, lemon juice, sriracha, 1-2 tbs canola oil and flaxseed
  2. Add about a third of the liquid from the beans and blend- I used my blender on the puree setting
  3. Add more liquid until you get the consistency you like.

We topped ours with some Franks Red Hot- so good!

*$* To save even more money I buy block cheese and grate myself.














No comments:

Post a Comment