Saturday, June 16, 2012

CSA Friday- Week 3

Photo by Jeff Kelly
As our CSA season enters week 3 I am still so happy with our decision to join- even with our fridge failure of last week- if you didn't catch that short post, our fridge decided to freeze everything therefore causing our produce to wilt and spoil... :(
This weeks experience was a perfect way to start our weekend, and not only am I glad that we joined Red Hill Farm but also in selecting Friday as our pick-up day (members choose either Tuesday or Friday). My husband, Jeff was able to join us this week and it was really great having him with us, and great knowing that he was enjoying the experience just as much as we do.
Canon went right for the children's garden and sand-play area and we picked our produce and extras together... extras available for purchase include; cheese, meats, eggs, granola, coffee, etc. Once the items available inside were picked my husband went about the u-pick of herbs and I went about taking pictures and spending some down time relaxing in the shaded lounge area. It was so perfect watching Canon play, my husband wandering the fields to pick herbs and spending time with our 8 month old in the picturesque setting. I LOVE Fridays on the farm!!

This weeks bounty includes;

  • 1 Turnip
  • Scallions
  • A ginormous head of Butter Lettuce
  • An equally ginormous head of Curly Leaf Lettuce
  • Garlic Scapes- 10
  • Komatsund
  • Yukina Savoy
  • Assorted Herbs- including Purple Basil (our car smelled sooooo good on the way home!), lemon balm, mint



I'll be honest, each week I have to do a 'what is ___' search and this week is no different. Aside from the leafy green appearance I do not know what Komatsund or Yukina Savoy are and have never heard of them, but that is part of the fun.

Can't wait til next Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment